Barrel plating is a form of electroplating. It has been used for many years to achieve a certain result. It can process a high volume of components more rapidly than some other forms of electroplating can. Like other forms of electroplating, barrel plating can work with a large variety of metals. Among those that are commonly used are:
The Basics of the Barrel Plating Process
The barrel plating process involves the following steps:
* Place the items in a non-conductive barrel-shaped cage
* Submerge the cage in a tank containing the appropriate chemical solution for electroplating purposes
* A slow tumbling action starts the barrel plating
The process itself is affected by the choice of barrel. Barrels are selected according to their efficiency. They may be high, medium or low. They may also be characterized as horizontal or oblique.
* Horizontal or Production Barrels: These are the more common type of barrel plating barrel used. This is the result of their capability of addressing a larger variety of workloads and their ability to handle larger volumes of work pieces. You may also choose from miniature and portable production barrels
* Oblique Barrels: the design to this form of barrel is more open. It is characterized by a reduced tumbling action. As a result it is considered more suitable for smaller loads of work pieces.
Benefits of Barrel Plating
When it comes to choosing plating – both electroless and electroplating, industries consider barrel plating to be ideal in accomplishing certain functions. It does, indeed, have several advantages. The most significant among them are:
* Volume: A great number of parts can be plated at the same time
* Cost: The ability to do volume work quickly and easily make sit cost-effective for providers of the service and the industries who require it
* One Service: Barrel plating is performed in a single “barrel.” Everything from cleaning to sealing is conducted in the same barrel.
* Efficiency: The reduction of cleaning, rinsing, pickling and sealing into a single vessel makes barrel plating a very efficient process
* Versatility: The same equipment can process many different parts. According to those who work in the field the rule of thumb is, “If it fits in the barrel, it can be barrel plated.”
* Uniformity: The result of barrel plating is a uniform finish – one that is more even than that provided by comparable services e.g. rack plating
* Investment: If you are purchasing equipment for plating, barrel plating is at the lower end of the scale. It also does not usually require a company expend more money for the various type of barrel plating.
Overall, when it comes to considering the various options for plating, their thoughts may turn to barrels. In terms of cost, convenience, uniformity of product results, volume and efficiency, there is a lot to say for barrel plating. In fact, barrel plating can result in lower investment for high quality results – something, a company also requires to be competitive.
If you are in need of experienced and high quality barrel plating services, look no further than the professionals at Professional Plating. We proudly provide our clients with innovative and excellent plating solutions. Our specialty is industrial plating and, since 1983, we have worked hard to maintain our reputation for finding the right solution for all our clients. To discover more about how our services can help your company be successful in the demanding high tech markets of today and tomorrow, visit us online at Proplate.com.